Made a process GIF of the latest piece. Which I’ve always wanted to try but forget to save all the layers. Though watching this now makes the perfectionist in me want to go back a few steps on some areas…
Anyways, my basic process:
1. quick, loose thumbnail
2. Sketch in black in white. Working digital, I like to sketch with values instead of line- really more painting than drawing.
3. Add a layer set on “color” to get a loose idea of color direction. And then probably a “multiply layer to adjust values.
5. Add a texture layer, usually set to “overlay” but on this one I used “divide.” Turn the opacity down, Erase it out in some places as needed.
6. Paint some more! Over-work it! Flip layers on and off making little adjustments! Erase!
7. Finally decide I’ll ruin it if you work on it anymore. Post to tumblr, otherwise I would repeat step 6 ad infinitum.
*Not sure why the GIF is so grainy? oh well.